Suggested Experiences & Outcomes
Responsibility of All Mental & Emotional Wellbeing
- I am aware of and able to express my feelings and am developing the ability to talk about them. HWB 4-01a
- I know that we all experience a variety of thoughts and emotions that affect how we feel and behave and I am learning ways of managing them. HWB 4-02a
- I understand that there are people I can talk to and that there are a number of ways in which I can gain access to practical and emotional support to help me and others in a range of circumstances. HWB 4-03a
- I understand that my feelings and reactions can change depending upon what is happening within and around me. This helps me to understand my own behaviour and the way others behave. HWB 4-04a
- I understand the importance of mental wellbeing and that this can be fostered and strengthened through personal coping skills and positive relationships. I know that it is not always possible to enjoy good mental health and that if this happens there is support available. HWB 4-06a
- I am learning skills and strategies which will support me in challenging times, particularly in relation to change and loss. HWB 4-07a
- I understand that people can feel alone and can be misunderstood and left out by others. I am learning how to give appropriate support. HWB 4-08a
Responsibility of All Social Wellbeing
- I recognise that each individual has a unique blend of abilities and needs. I contribute to making my school community one which values individuals equally and is a welcoming place for all. HWB 4-10a
- I value the opportunities I am given to make friends and be part of a group in a range of situations. HWB 4-14a
Responsibility of All Physical Wellbeing
- I am developing my understanding of the human body and can use this knowledge to maintain and improve my wellbeing and health. HWB 4-15a
- I am learning to assess and manage risk, to protect myself and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible. HWB 4-16a
- I know and can demonstrate how to keep myself and others safe and how to respond in a range of emergency situations. HWB 4-17a
Responsibility of All Health & Wellbeing
- I continue to enjoy daily participation in moderate to vigorous physical activity and sport and can demonstrate my understanding that it can:
- contribute to and promote my learning
- develop my fitness and physical and mental wellbeing
- develop my social skills, positive attitudes and values
- make an important contribution to living a healthy lifestyle. HWB 4-25a
- I can explain the role of sport in cultural heritage and have explored the opportunities available for me to participate in school sport and sporting events. I make use of participation and performance pathways that allow me to continue and extend my sporting experience in my place of learning and beyond. HWB 4-26a
- I have investigated factors which can influence participation in physical activity and food choices, and the impact of activity on population health in the Scottish and wider contexts. I can use this information to discuss policies and inform my own health choices. HWB 4-28a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To learn to understand my emotions and those of others.
- To develop my understanding of strategies to support wellbeing.
- To investigate how I can look after my own, and others, wellbeing.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- I can explain and discuss the impact of feelings and emotions on my own and others behaviour.
- I can discuss and demonstrate strategies I could use to make informed choices in stressful/challenging situations.
- I can demonstrate how my physical wellbeing impacts my feelings and explain how these can affect my behaviour.
Suggested Learning Experiences
These suggested activities/tasks are for group work within a classroom. Please select activities/tasks that are most relevant to the needs of your learners and school community. Please use your professional judgement as to how best to deliver these types of activities/tasks/content with your learners and which other staff may also be able to provide support/differentiation to meet their needs.
- What do we know?
Ask learners to reflect on what they learned in S1 & S2 in relation to physical and mental wellbeing – what is wellbeing? Do these things change? What strategies can you/have you used to look after your physical and mental wellbeing? What do we do as a school/community to support wellbeing? What aspects of physical and mental wellbeing are important to you/us/school/community?
[add links to SAMH]
- What do we need to know?
Pupils can explore how they look after their own, and possibly look out for others, wellbeing. This may lead to further discussion around mental health and stigma (following on from S1/2 input) Stigma Free Lanarkshire resources may be useful in these discussions: https://www.lanarkshirelinks.org.uk/young-people-and-stigma/
Young People and Mental Health Stigma (PDF)
Stigma Free Lanarkshire Language Poster (PDF)
Signposting Young People (PDF)
What is stress – signs/symptoms? What are the links between physical/mental health and stress https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/stress/#.XableG5FxPY
Let’s Talk About Stress Activity (PNG)
Physical Activity & Your Mental Health 2019 (PDF)
Stress 2017 (PDF)
Physical Activity and mental health https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/tips-for-everyday-living/physical-activity-and-your-mental-health/#.Xabvcm5FxPY
Register for What’s on Your Mind? Pack from See Me https://www.seemescotland.org/young-people/whats-on-your-mind/ or go to Resources and scroll down to Schools https://www.seemescotland.org/resources/
Young Minds – looking after yourself https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/looking-after-yourself/
MNF – StressLESS Module 2 – Let’s talk about stress
Let’s Talk About Stress Activity (PNG)
Mountain of Anxiety Appendix (PNG)
StressLESS Module 7 – Motivation to Move
Am I OK? (PDF)
[Add link to NHSL Health Literacy resource]
- What’s happening here / locally? / What could we do next?
Learners could discuss/explore/examine:
Pupils could investigate what is there locally they can access/attend to support their wellbeing – what did you find? What do you need? What’s missing? What can we do about this? What can we do to help/support our friends/family or some else who is in difficulty? What campaigns are there?
Explore online: https://www.samh.org.uk
SAMH Charter for Sport https://www.samh.org.uk/get-involved/mental-health-charter
Get Active for your Mental Health – Top Ten Tips (PDF)
Starting the Mental Health Conversation (PDF)
Suggested SHANARRI Indicators
Suggested UNCRC Articles
Suggested NPF Outcome
- NPF 2.4
NHS Lanarkshire Library Resources
Here are some examples of resources that can be ordered via NHS Lanarkshire Library Resource to support your delivery of this topic:
- Teen health series: self-esteem (DVD)
- What is resilience? (DVD)
- Stress: the survival guide (DVD)
- Empathy counts (Game)
- Rainbow (Game)
- SAMH elearning for teachers https://www.samh.org.uk/about-mental-health/elearning-for-teachers
- Online ACEs course - https://www.acesonlinelearning.com/
- Samaritans resource for teachers
- HSBC National Report (PDF)
- Scottish Government Mental Health Strategy 2017 - 2027 (PDF)
- SHINE https://shine.sphsu.gla.ac.uk/
- Promoting Mental, Emotional Resilience
- Growing Confidence https://growing-confidence.org.uk/
- Barnardo’s Supervision support for teachers https://policyhubscotland.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/BARNARDOS-Supporting-the-mental-health-and-wellbeing-of-education-staff.pdf
- Nil by Mouth email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Spark www.thespark.org.uk
- SAMH https://www.samh.org.uk
- Young Minds https://youngminds.org.uk
- Mind www.mind.org.uk
- Mental Health Foundation Scotland https://mentalhealth.org.uk/scotland
- Children’s Rights www.unicef.org.uk/rrsa
- RRSA & ASN https://www.unicef.org.uk/rights-respecting-schools/resources/teaching-resources/special-schools-convention/
- Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) https://www.un.org/development/desa/disabilities/convention-on-the-rights-of-persons-with-disabilities/the-convention-in-brief.html
- Children & Young People’s Commissioner Scotland www.cypcs.org.uk
- Children in Scotland https://childreninscotland.org.uk/
- ASDAN - https://www.asdan.org.uk/courses
- SQA - Wellbeing Award SCQF levels 3 to 5 https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/63094.html
- Mental Health Reading List