Suggested Experiences & Outcomes
Responsibility of All Mental & Emotional Wellbeing
- I am aware of and able to express my feelings and am developing the ability to talk about them. HWB 3-01a
- I know that we all experience a variety of thoughts and emotions that affect how we feel and behave and I am learning ways of managing them. HWB 3-02a
- I understand that there are people I can talk to and that there are a number of ways in which I can gain access to practical and emotional support to help me and others in a range of circumstances. HWB 3-03a
- I understand that my feelings and reactions can change depending upon what is happening within and around me. This helps me to understand my own behaviour and the way others behave. HWB 3-04a
- I understand the importance of mental wellbeing and that this can be fostered and strengthened through personal coping skills and positive relationships. I know that it is not always possible to enjoy good mental health and that if this happens there is support available. HWB 3-06a
- I am learning skills and strategies which will support me in challenging times, particularly in relation to change and loss. HWB 3-07a
- I understand that people can feel alone and can be misunderstood and left out by others. I am learning how to give appropriate support. HWB 3-08a
Responsibility of All Social Wellbeing
- I recognise that each individual has a unique blend of abilities and needs. I contribute to making my school community one which values individuals equally and is a welcoming place for all. HWB 3-10a
- I value the opportunities I am given to make friends and be part of a group in a range of situations. HWB 3-14a
Responsibility of All Physical Wellbeing
- I am developing my understanding of the human body and can use this knowledge to maintain and improve my wellbeing and health. HWB 3-15a
- I am learning to assess and manage risk, to protect myself and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible. HWB 3-16a
- I know and can demonstrate how to keep myself and others safe and how to respond in a range of emergency situations. HWB 3-17a
Benchmarks: Accesses opportunities to develop / achieve in sport and/or outdoor learning within place of learning and wider community.
Evaluates own lifestyle in respect of daily physical activity, diet, rest and sleep and impact on health and wellbeing.
Explains the impact of an energy imbalance on health and wellbeing, for example, becoming overweight, lethargy.
Responsibility of All Health & Wellbeing
- I am experiencing enjoyment and achievement on a daily basis by taking part in different kinds of energetic physical activities of my choosing, including sport and opportunities for outdoor learning, available at my place of learning and in the wider community. HWB 3-25a
- I have investigated the role of sport and the opportunities it may offer me. I am able to access opportunities for participation in sport and the development of my performance in my place of learning and beyond. HWB 3-26a
- I can explain why I need to be active on a daily basis to maintain good health and try to achieve a good balance of sleep, rest and physical activity. HWB 3-27a
- I can explain the links between the energy I use while being physically active, the food I eat, any my health and wellbeing. HWB 3-28a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To learn to understand my emotions and those of others.
- To develop my understanding of strategies to support wellbeing.
- To investigate how I can look after my own, and others, wellbeing.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- I can explain and discuss the impact of feelings and emotions on my own and others behaviour.
- I can discuss and demonstrate strategies I could use to make informed choices in stressful/challenging situations.
- I can demonstrate how my physical wellbeing impacts my feelings and explain how these can affect my behaviour.
Suggested Learning Experiences
These suggested activities/tasks are for group work within a classroom. Please select activities/tasks that are most relevant to the needs of your learners and school community. Please use your professional judgement as to how best to deliver these types of activities/tasks/content with your learners and which other staff may also be able to provide support/differentiation to meet their needs.
- What do we know?
What does wellbeing mean? What does it mean to learners? Ask pupils to discuss what they know about wellbeing as they may have worked on this in primary school. What does your school/community currently do to support different aspects of wellbeing? (May wish to discuss Compassionate & Connected Classroom that learners may have worked with in primary school).
Dear Health and Wellbeing Report (PDF) may give you some context to discuss wellbeing with learners. Samaritans resource for teachers may also be of interest.
- What do we need to know?
What do learners do to stay physically, mentally, emotionally and socially healthy? How can we do this in/out with school?
(staff can follow this link to sign up to this resource) http://www.foundationforpositivementalhealth.com/for-schools/
Stigma Free Lanarkshire resources may be useful in these discussions: https://www.lanarkshirelinks.org.uk/young-people-and-stigma/
Young People and Mental Health Stigma (PDF)
Stigma Free Lanarkshire Language Poster (PDF)
Signposting Young People (PDF)
Health Headlines Activity – Outline
Health Headlines Activity – Resources
Realistic Medicine Shared Decision Making – Outline
5 Question Posters – Resources
Picture for Listening Activity
- What’s happening here / locally? / What could we do next?
Learners could discuss/explore/examine:
Learners could explore/research what is happening in their school/local community that helps support the different aspects of wellbeing.
What projects/initiatives could they volunteer with/support that could help their own and others wellbeing?
For example, VASLAN Locator (South) www.locator.org.uk Voluntary sector services and activities within your community.
VANL Locator (North) http://locatornl.org.uk Voluntary sector services and activities within your community.
Suggested SHANARRI Indicators
Suggested UNCRC Articles
Suggested NPF Outcome
- NPF 2.4
NHS Lanarkshire Library Resources
Here are some examples of resources that can be ordered via NHS Lanarkshire Library Resource to support your delivery of this topic:
- Countdown to your health (DVD)
- Emotional wellbeing (DVD)
- Healthy Habits bingo (Game)
- Talkabout game: developing self esteem, social skills and friendship skills (Game)
- SAMH elearning for teachers https://www.samh.org.uk/about-mental-health/elearning-for-teachers
- Online ACEs course - https://www.acesonlinelearning.com/
- HSBC National Report (PDF)
- SHINE https://shine.sphsu.gla.ac.uk/
- Promoting Mental, Emotional Resilience
- Growing Confidence https://growing-confidence.org.uk/
- Barnardo’s Supervision support for teachers https://policyhubscotland.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/BARNARDOS-Supporting-the-mental-health-and-wellbeing-of-education-staff.pdf
- Nil by Mouth email email@example.com
- The Spark www.thespark.org.uk
- The Miracle Foundation (Bereavement & Trauma Support for Young People) www.themiraclefoundation.org.uk
- Breathing Space www.breathingspacescotland.co.uk
- Samaritans www.samaritans.org
- NHS 24 www.nhs24.com
- ChildLine www.childline.org.uk
- Young Scot www.youngscot.net
- 7 Cups of Tea www.7cups.com
- SAMH www.samh.org.uk
- See Me www.seemescotland.org
- Support in Mind Scotland www.supportinmindscotland.org.uk
- The Foundation for Positive Mental Health http://www.foundationforpositivementalhealth.com/positive-mental-training/
- Penumbra www.penumbra.org.uk
- Young Minds www.youngminds.org.uk
- Mind Ed www.minded.org.uk
- Education Scotland https://education.gov.scot/improvement/learning-resources/compassionate-and-connected-classroom/
- NIH https://education.gov.scot/improvement/practice-exemplars/Embedding%20health%20and%20wellbeing%20across%20a%20learning%20community
- NIH https://education.gov.scot/improvement/learning-resources/compassionate-and-connected-classroom
- Children’s Rights www.unicef.org.uk/rrsa
- RRSA & ASN https://www.unicef.org.uk/rights-respecting-schools/resources/teaching-resources/special-schools-convention/
- Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) https://www.un.org/development/desa/disabilities/convention-on-the-rights-of-persons-with-disabilities/the-convention-in-brief.html
- Children & Young People’s Commissioner Scotland www.cypcs.org.uk
- Children in Scotland https://childreninscotland.org.uk/
- ASDAN - https://www.asdan.org.uk/courses
- SQA - Wellbeing Award SCQF levels 3 to 5 https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/63094.html
- The Patient Journey Outline
- The Patient Journey - Resources