Suggested Experiences & Outcomes
Responsibility of All Mental & Emotional wellbeing
- I know that we all experience a variety of thoughts and emotions that affect how we feel and behave and I am learning ways of managing them. HWB 3-02a
- I understand that there are people I can talk to and that there are a number of ways in which I can gain access to practical and emotional support to help me and others in a range of circumstances. HWB 3-03a
- I understand that my feelings and reactions can change depending upon what is happening within and around me. This helps me to understand my own behaviour and the way others behave. HWB 3-04a
- I know that friendship, caring, sharing, fairness, equality and love are important in building positive relationships. As I develop and value relationships, I care and show respect for myself and others. HWB 3-05a
- I am learning skills and strategies which will support me in challenging times, particularly in relation to change and loss. HWB 3-07a
- I understand that people can feel alone and can be misunderstood and left out by others. I am learning how to give appropriate support. HWB 3-08a
Responsibility of All Social wellbeing
- I recognise that each individual has a unique blend of abilities and needs. I contribute to making my school community one which values individuals equally and is a welcoming place for all. HWB 3-10a
Responsibility of All Physical wellbeing
- I am developing my understanding of the human body and can use this knowledge to maintain and improve my wellbeing and health. HWB 3-15a
- I am learning to assess and manage risk, to protect myself and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible. HWB 3-16a
- I know and can demonstrate how to keep myself and others safe and how to respond in a range of emergency situations. HWB 3-17a
Responsibility of All Health & wellbeing Relationships, Sexual Health and Parenthood
- I understand and can demonstrate the qualities and skills required to sustain different types of relationships. HWB 3-44b
- I understand and can explain the importance of, and need for, commitment, trust and respect in loving and sexual relationships. I understand the different contexts of such relationships including marriage. HWB 3-44c
- I am aware of the need to respect personal space and boundaries and can recognise and respond appropriately to verbal and non-verbal communication. HWB 3-45b
- I reflect on how my attitudes, beliefs, values and morality can influence my decisions about friendships, relationships and sexual behaviour. HWB 3-46a
- I am developing skills for making decisions about my relationships and sexual behaviour. I am able to apply these to situations that may be challenging or difficult. HWB 3-46c
- I understand my own body’s uniqueness, my developing sexuality, and that of others. HWB 3-47a
- I can explain the importance and the enduring and complex responsibility of being a parent/carer, and the impact on life choices and options. HWB 3-51a
- I can explain the support and care necessary to ensure a child is nurtured through the different stages of childhood. HWB 3-51b
Benchmarks: Explains why commitment, trust and respect are central to being cared for and caring for others.
Demonstrates respect and understanding of the diversity of loving and sexual relationships, for example, LGBTI relationships, marriage, living together, co-parenting.
Explains the impact an imbalance of power can have on relationships, including sexual relationships, for example, consent, coercion, responsibility for actions and decisions. Describes how positive and negative feelings about body image can affect health, self-worth and behaviour, for example, confidence, self-harm, eating disorders. Recognises the impact of puberty and developing sexuality.
Identifies and explains influence/impact of media, including social media and pornography on self-esteem and decision making.
Demonstrates the skills needed to challenge stereotypical images in the media, including social media, for example, confidence, judgement.
Identifies and demonstrates the skills required to make positive choices in challenging situations, for example, assertiveness, empathy.
Explains the short and long term impact of parenthood, for example, joy, commitment, financial implications, anxiety, physical demands.
Explains the meaning and importance of nurture in a child’s development. Identifies local support available for parents and carers
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To learn how to question images in media/social media relating to body image
- To develop understanding of media/social media and body image and the impact of this
- To investigate how body image can be manipulated and the affect this has on wellbeing
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- I can explain and discuss how images are adapted and altered.
- I can discuss and demonstrate how to question/challenge images that I see.
- I can identify my own uniqueness/strengths and attributes.
Suggested Learning Experiences
These suggested activities/tasks are for group work within a classroom. Please select activities/tasks that are most relevant to the needs of your learners and school community. Please use your professional judgement as to how best to deliver these types of activities/tasks/content with your learners and which other staff may also be able to provide support/differentiation to meet their needs.
- What do we know?
What does body image mean?
How does social/media alter image/s?
Why take Selfies?
What is the ideal image?
Is this just about girls?
Why does this matter?
Mind – Self-esteem https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/self-esteem/#.Xa1wd25FxPY
Young Minds – Body Image, https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/feelings-and-symptoms/body-image/
Young men struggling (blog) https://youngminds.org.uk/blog/young-men-struggling-with-negative-body-image/
- What do we need to know?
Link with RSHP resource –
Part 1 Influence of culture (Activity plan and Slides), https://rshp.scot/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Part-1.-The-influence-of-popular-culture-Activity-plan.pdf
Part 2 My real body/body confidence (Activity plan, Slides) https://rshp.scot/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Part-2.-My-real-body-body-confidence-Activity-plan.pdf
How can body image impact on thoughts/feelings?
Who is affected? (BeReal Body Confidence Toolkit can be accessed via RSHP link] https://rshp.scot/third-fourth-level/
MHF Scotland https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/publications/body-image-report
Mental Health Reading List
- What’s happening here/ locally? / What could we do next?
Learners could discuss/explore/examine:
What local/school issues do we have around body image?
What can we do about it?
Can we identify areas/topics in school/community where we can address this topic?
Suggested SHANARRI Indicators
Suggested UNCRC Articles
Suggested NPF Outcome
- NPF 2.5
NHS Lanarkshire Library Resources
Here are some examples of resources that can be ordered via NHS Lanarkshire Library Resource to support your delivery of this topic:
- The truth about body image: the teen files series (DVD)
- Skin deep (DVD)
- Life skills: 225 ready-to-use health activities (Resource)
- Everybody’s different: the appearance game (Game)
- NHS Lanarkshire BBV & Sexual Health Training & Education Manager – email: Jude.Irwin@lanarkshire.scot.nhs.uk
- Sexual health website www.lanarkshiresexualhealth.org
- C Card and apps https://www.lanarkshiresexualhealth.org/apps/
- Online ACEs course - https://www.acesonlinelearning.com/
- HSBC National Report
- RSHP Flash Report
- Mind www.mind.org.uk
- Young Minds www.youngminds.org.uk
- RSHP resource https://rshp.scot/third-fourth-level/
- TIE resources https://www.tiecampaign.co.uk/resources
- MHF Scotland https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/publications/body-image-report
- Children’s Rights www.unicef.org.uk/rrsa
- RRSA & ASN https://www.unicef.org.uk/rights-respecting-schools/resources/teaching-resources/special-schools-convention/
- Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) https://www.un.org/development/desa/disabilities/convention-on-the-rights-of-persons-with-disabilities/the-convention-in-brief.html
- Children & Young People’s Commissioner Scotland www.cypcs.org.uk
- Children in Scotland https://childreninscotland.org.uk/
- ASDAN - https://www.asdan.org.uk/courses
- SQA - Wellbeing Award SCQF levels 3 to 5 https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/63094.html