About this Guide
This resource is designed to support practitioners deliver appropriate PSE in conjunction with their learners in light of the Scottish Government PSE Review (2019). You may with to look at the information about cocreation in the activity section, along with the associated benchmarks, to support your learners build on their existing knowledge and understanding of this topic. This suggested Growth Mindset content will support practitioner work with their learners to develop the curriculum to suit their local context and meet the relevant age and stage of development for children and young people with regard to Mental, Emotional, Social & Physical Wellbeing.
Suggested Experiences & Outcomes
Mental & Emotional Wellbeing
- HWB 4-01a
I am aware of and able to express my feelings and am developing the ability to talk about them.
- HWB 4-02a
I know that we all experience a variety of thoughts and emotions that affect how we feel and behave and I am learning ways of managing them.
- HWB 4-03a
I understand that there are people I can talk to and that there are a number of ways in which I can gain access to practical and emotional support to help me and others in a range of circumstances.
- HWB 4-04a
I understand that my feelings and reactions can change depending upon what is happening within and around me. This helps me to understand my own behaviour and the way others behave.
- HWB 4-06a
I understand the importance of mental wellbeing and that this can be fostered and strengthened through personal coping skills and positive relationships. I know that it is not always possible to enjoy good mental health and that if this happens there is support available.
- HWB 4-07a
I am learning skills and strategies which will support me in challenging times, particularly in relation to change and loss.
- HWB 4-08a
I understand that people can feel alone and can be misunderstood and left out by others. I am learning how to give appropriate support.
- HWB 4-10a
I recognise that each individual has a unique blend of abilities and needs. I contribute to making my school community one which values individuals equally and is a welcoming place for all.
- HWB 4-14a
I value the opportunities I am given to make friends and be part of a group in a range of situations.
- HWB 4-15a
I am developing my understanding of the human body and can use this knowledge to maintain and improve my wellbeing and health.
- HWB 4-16a
I am learning to assess and manage risk, to protect myself and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible.
- HWB 4-17a
I know and can demonstrate how to keep myself and others safe and how to respond in a range of emergency situations.
Health & Wellbeing
- HWB 4-25a
I continue to enjoy daily participation in moderate to vigorous physical activity and sport and can demonstrate my understanding that it can:
• contribute to and promote my learning • develop my fitness and physical and mental wellbeing • develop my social skills, positive attitudes and values • make an important contribution to living a healthy lifestyle.
- HWB 4-26a
I can explain the role of sport in cultural heritage and have explored the opportunities available for me to participate in school sport and sporting events. I make use of participation and performance pathways that allow me to continue and extend my sporting experience in my place of learning and beyond.
- HWB 4-28a
I have investigated factors which can influence participation in physical activity and food choices, and the impact of activity on population health in the Scottish and wider contexts. I can use this information to discuss policies and inform my own health choices.
- Sustains daily moderate to vigorous physical activity.
- Extends opportunities to develop/achieve in sports performance and/or outdoor learning, within place of learning and community.
- Evaluates how physical activity impacts on mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing.
- Explains the role of sport in cultural heritage, for example, shinty, rugby, curling.
- Evaluates own lifestyle in relation to the balance of sleep, rest and physical activity and the impact this may have on health.
- Explains factors which influence participation in physical activity and food choices, for example, socio-economic, media, peer pressure.
- Analyses current national guidance and policy and explains their impact on own health choices, for example, sugar intake, physical activity targets.
Suggested Learning Intentions
- to learn to understand my emotions and those of others
- to develop my understanding of strategies to support wellbeing
- to investigate how I can look after my own, and others, wellbeing
Suggested Success Criteria (I Can…)
- explain and discuss the impact of feelings and emotions on my own and others behaviour
- discuss and demonstrate strategies I could use to make informed choices in stressful/challenging situations
- demonstrate how my physical wellbeing impacts my feelings and explain how these can affect my behaviour
Suggested Learning Experiences
These suggested activities/tasks are for group work within a classroom and target holistic/generic/universal needs of learners. You should select activities/tasks that are most relevant to the needs of your learners and school community. Please use your professional judgement as to how best to deliver these types of activities/tasks sensitively/appropriately with your learners and which other staff may also be able to provide support/differentiation to meet their needs.
What do we know?
What do learners already know about growth mindset from previous learning? What does growth mindset mean? (Have a look at the information in the External Links section.) What ways have learners used (or could have used) growth mindset approach in different situations – school, home, friends etc.
What do we need to know?
What else do we need to know about using growth mindset? What other ways can we use growth mindset in our lives?
Further information and NHS Library Resources in External Links could be of interest.
What’s happening here/locally? What could we do next?
What situations are happening in school/locally/nationally/internationally that we could apply growth mindset to? How will using this approach help us in the future – school, work, study, friends, family etc? Is this something that we could examine as a school/local community? What partner organisations/agencies are there we could link with?