Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I am learning to assess and manage risk, to protect myself and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible. HWB 2-16a
- As I encounter new challenges and contexts for learning, I am encouraged and supported to demonstrate my ability to select, adapt and apply movement skills and strategies, creatively, accurately and with control. HWB 2-21a
- I know and can demonstrate how to travel safely. HWB 1-18a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To perform learned skills with a degree of accuracy and control.
- To apply knowledge of risk and safety when planning activities for themselves and others.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Demonstrate different ways of moving my body safely, creatively and with control. HWB 2-16a
- Create a short sequence of actions, linking movements in a controlled and smooth manner. HWB 2-21a
- Assess risk and demonstrate safety when working and sharing space with others. HWB 2-18a
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Games-Making activities - using a range of small equipment eg, hoops, quoits, balls, racquets, etc. Create simple rules, consider safety.
- Aesthetics eg, gymnastics/dance – work with a partner to design a routine involving balance, rotation, inversion and travelling, thinking about safe use of space and equipment.
- Central net and wall activities eg, volleyball, badminton, tennis – create a mini activity with a partner which focuses on passing and moving, throwing and catching – encourage children to think about safe space, timing, cue recognition.
- Outdoor Learning – eg team-building activities, orienteering, to reinforce learning about safety of self and others in the outdoor environment.
- Whole-school events eg, sports day/week – children could be involved in planning a sports event for the whole school – this could involve risk assessment – consider best use of available space in school grounds, weather, equipment, staffing, contingency planning, suitability of activities for age and number of pupils etc.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- EXA 2-06a – work collaboratively to design a safe outdoor play area.
- SOC 2-14a - Draw a map of playground, playing area, identifying key points. Plan an orienteering course round it to use with peers.
Suggested Word Bank
- speed (fast/slow)
- level (high/low)