Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I make full use of and value the opportunities I am given to improve and manage my learning and, in turn, I can help to encourage learning and confidence in others. HWB 2-11a
- I have investigated the role of sport and the opportunities it may offer me. I am able to access opportunities for participation in sport and the development of my performance in my place of learning and beyond. HWB 2-26a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To explain how physical activity and sport can lead to positive destinations beyond school.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Identify who can support me to fulfill my own interests in and beyond school. HWB 2-11a
- Investigate a variety of ways to participate in sport in my local area.HWB 2-11a
- Investigate different career opportunities in the field of sport. HWB 2-26a
- Explain the benefits and opportunities that physical activity and sport can offer me in the future. HWB 2-26a
Suggested Learning Experiences
The Healthy Schools approach has been designed to run alongside a core PE programme. This enables more effective support for pupils’ understanding of the importance of an active lifestyle and helps to develop skills associated with habitual physical activity.
- Mindmap the benefits of taking part in physical activity and sport – categorise these into physical and personal skills.
- Consider how these skills will benefit them now and in the future. Encourage children to think beyond P.E to encompass skills for learning, life and work.
- Investigate the range of career opportunities available in relation to sport and physical education and what they need to do to aim towards a career in this field.
- Invite a local sports person to talk to the children about how they achieved success in their sport.
- Prepare a range of interview questions to ask.
- Compile a profile of the range of personal/physical qualities that sports men and women may require when competing at major events.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- TCH 2-03b - Research a famous sport person – focusing on how they achieved success – training programme – personal / professional commitment / sacrifices etc.
Suggested Word Bank
- team work
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Second Level)
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks sip
- Annual Progression Planners ( Second Level)
- Included E/O Bundle (Rights Respecting Schools)
- Personalised Year Planner (Second Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Second Level)
- Better Movers and Thinkers (BMT) is an approach to learning and teaching in physical education designed to develop the ability of all children and young people to move and think in a more cohesive way.