Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I can follow and understand rules and procedures, developing my ability to achieve personal goals. I recognise and can adopt different roles in a range of practical activities. HWB 1-23a
- I can recognise progress and achievement by discussing my thoughts and feelings and giving and accepting feedback. HWB 1-24a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To recognise the importance of their role in a range of activities and how this can contribute to overall performance.
- To understand and appreciate the need to follow rules and procedures.
- To develop a positive attitude towards setting personal goals to improve performance.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Identify and discuss how to be a good winner and cope appropriately with losing. HWB 1-23a
- Identify and discuss the role of leader and the associated responsibilities. HWB 1-23a
- Celebrate and use achievements as part of improving my performance. HWB 1-24a
- Respond and contribute to self and peer assessment with respect. HWB 1-24a
Suggested Learning Experiences
The Healthy Schools approach has been designed to run alongside a core PE programme. This enables more effective support for pupils’ understanding of the importance of an active lifestyle and helps to develop skills associated with habitual physical activity.
- Facilitate opportunities for children to work in teams and groups by adopting different playing and non-playing roles on a rotational basis eg player, coach, referee, timer, recorder.
- Self / peer assessment – observing and recording own and others’ performance in a range of different activities. Explain how targets are being achieved and, by using two stars and a wish, outline how performance can be improved.
- Discuss which role they preferred, found most challenging, required most skill etc.
- Create own goals/targets to work towards to improve their performance in a specific role / roles.
- Explain how they will go about achieving these goals/targets and how they will know when they have been successful in achieving them.
- Discuss the importance and need for specific rules and roles within a game / activity.
- Describe the qualities needed to be successful in the role and demonstrate them in performance eg. communication skills, empathy towards others, building trusting relationships, accept and receiving positive, constructive feedback.
- Work with a partner to create simple rules for a game that they have created themselves.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- TCH 1-04a / TCH 1-04b – create short video clips of children working in group / team activities eg gymnastics to support and enhance learning eg, self and peer assessment.
Suggested Word Bank
- self/peer assessment
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (First Level)
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks frp
- Annual Progression Planner ( First Level)
- Topic Specific Planners (First Level)
- Responsible E/O Bundle ( Rights Respecting Schools)
- Personalised Year Planner (First Level)
- Better Movers and Thinkers (BMT) is an approach to learning and teaching in physical education designed to develop the ability of all children and young people to move and think in a more cohesive way.