Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I can follow and understand rules and procedures, developing my ability to achieve personal goals. I recognise and can adopt different roles in a range of practical activities. HWB 1-23a
- I can recognise progress and achievement by discussing my thoughts and feelings and giving and accepting feedback. HWB 1-24a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To recognise the importance of their role in a range of activities and how this can contribute to overall performance.
- To understand and appreciate the need to follow rules and procedures.
- To develop a positive attitude towards setting personal goals to improve performance.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Identify and discuss how to be a good winner and cope appropriately with losing. HWB 1-23a
- Identify and discuss the role of leader and the associated responsibilities. HWB 1-23a
- Celebrate and use achievements as part of improving my performance. HWB 1-24a
- Respond and contribute to self and peer assessment with respect. HWB 1-24a
Suggested Learning Experiences
COVID Support - Education Scotland have highlighted physical education as a critical learning opportunity for pupils as they heal, re-connect, and adapt on their return to school. To support schools with these considerations and others, they have released specific guidelines designed to assist with the planning, decision-making and the safe implementation of curricular physical education.
- Facilitate opportunities for children to work in teams and groups by adopting different playing and non-playing roles on a rotational basis eg player, coach, referee, timer, recorder.
- Self / peer assessment – observing and recording own and others’ performance in a range of different activities. Explain how targets are being achieved and, by using two stars and a wish, outline how performance can be improved.
- Discuss which role they preferred, found most challenging, required most skill etc.
- Create own goals/targets to work towards to improve their performance in a specific role / roles.
- Explain how they will go about achieving these goals/targets and how they will know when they have been successful in achieving them.
- Discuss the importance and need for specific rules and roles within a game / activity.
- Describe the qualities needed to be successful in the role and demonstrate them in performance eg. communication skills, empathy towards others, building trusting relationships, accept and receiving positive, constructive feedback.
- Work with a partner to create simple rules for a game that they have created themselves.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- TCH 1-04a / TCH 1-04b – create short video clips of children working in group / team activities eg gymnastics to support and enhance learning eg, self and peer assessment.
Suggested Word Bank
- self/peer assessment