Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I recognise that each individual has a unique blend of abilities and needs. I contribute to making my school community one which values individuals equally and is a welcoming place for all. HWB 1-10a
- I can follow and understand rules and procedures, developing my ability to achieve personal goals. I recognise and can adopt different roles in a range of practical activities. HWB 1-23a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To develop an understanding of how their individual skills and the skills of others, contribute to a group/team situation.
- To work co-operatively in groups and provide and receive peer support.
- To develop own and others’ self-worth and self-esteem through effective participation.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Show persistence when facing a challenge and work through it to achieve success. HWB 1-23a
- Demonstrate how to work with others in a range of activities. HWB 1-10a
- Adopt different roles and show consideration for the feelings of others.HWB 1-23a
- Develop my own and others' self worth and self esteem through effective participation. HWB 1-10a
Suggested Learning Experiences
The Healthy Schools approach has been designed to run alongside a core PE programme. This enables more effective support for pupils’ understanding of the importance of an active lifestyle and helps to develop skills associated with habitual physical activity.
- The purpose of the following activities is to boost the self-esteem of the children as it aims to highlight that everyone has strengths that can be used to the benefit of each other. This will help to create a strong class ethos and encourage the class to work together as a team.
- Develop teamwork through participation in a wide range of small sided/team activities.
- Engage in a range of team-building activities and cooperative games in which everyone has a role.
- Create games which require a contribution from and a role for everyone using simple or no equipment eg, hand- clapping sequence; mirroring movements.
- Facilitate opportunities for co-operative learning activities to support group and individual learning.
- Create profiles outlining physical, emotional and social qualities they are good at and others they need to work on. Develop rules to ensure maximum participation and engagement.
- Create rules for working together as a team and display these in the gym hall.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- TCH 1-04a / TCH 1-04b – create short video clips of children working in group/team activities to support and enhance learning and to outline the qualities of what makes a good team. eg, self and peer assessment.
Suggested Word Bank
- team work
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (First Level)
- Experiences & Outcomes Tracking
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks fip
- Annual Progression Planner ( First Level)
- Topic Specific Planners (First Level)
- Lifestyle Ready Reckoner - Assessment Tool
- Included E/O Bundle ( Rights Respecting Schools)
- Better Movers and Thinkers (BMT) is an approach to learning and teaching in physical education designed to develop the ability of all children and young people to move and think in a more cohesive way.