Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I make full use and value the opportunities I am given to improve and manage my learning and in turn, I can help to encourage learning and confidence in others. HWB 1-11a
- I understand that my body needs energy to function and that this comes from the food I eat. I am exploring how physical activity contributes to my health and wellbeing. HWB 1-28a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To understand how and why physical activity is necessary for positive health and wellbeing.
- To take responsibility for developing their own levels of physical activity.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Describe how exercise and activity affects my body. HWB 1-28a
- Explain factors that can affect my performance eg, energy input (food) and output (exercise), time of day, etc. HWB 1-28a
- Demonstrate how to record, monitor and set achievable goals to improve my physical activity. HWB 1-11a
Suggested Learning Experiences
The Healthy Schools approach has been designed to run alongside a core PE programme. This enables more effective support for pupils’ understanding of the importance of an active lifestyle and helps to develop skills associated with habitual physical activity.
- Engage in a range of activities that use lots of and less energy eg, fast/slow running, skipping, walking.
- Engage in range of partner relay activities both indoors and outdoors.
- Take turns at being coach and athlete – record and monitor progress in a variety of activities eg, skipping for 30 seconds, shuttle runs, step-ups, bouncing a ball.
- Consider the frequency, intensity and duration of different levels and types of activity.
- Consider how their body feels following different levels of activity eg, heart beats faster, breathe more heavily, body sweats etc following more rigorous activity.
- Compare how they feel when taking part in the same activity at different times of the day. Record results on a feelings/achievement chart/profile.
- Consider factors that might affect their performance with particular emphasis on food ie meal times, portion sizes, energy, type of food etc.
- Develop and adapt a variety of games with a partner that uses minimal equipment.
- Discuss with a partner ways in which activities can be made more/less challenging.
- Learners should be encouraged to set own goals and evaluate success, setting new targets for their own future development.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- SCN 1-04a - Investigate different types of energy and the factors that affect people’s energy needs – age, health, hobbies, job.
Suggested Word Bank
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (First Level)
- Experiences & Outcomes Tracking
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks fatp
- Annual Progression Planner ( First Level)
- Topic Specific Planners (First Level)
- Lifestyle Ready Reckoner - Assessment Tool
- Active E/O Bundle ( Rights Respecting Schools)
- Better Movers and Thinkers (BMT) is an approach to learning and teaching in physical education designed to develop the ability of all children and young people to move and think in a more cohesive way.