Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I make full use and value the opportunities I am given to improve and manage my learning and in turn, I can help to encourage learning and confidence in others. HWB 1-11a
- I understand that my body needs energy to function and that this comes from the food I eat. I am exploring how physical activity contributes to my health and wellbeing. HWB 1-28a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To understand how and why physical activity is necessary for positive health and wellbeing.
- To take responsibility for developing their own levels of physical activity.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Describe how exercise and activity affects my body. HWB 1-28a
- Explain factors that can affect my performance eg, energy input (food) and output (exercise), time of day, etc. HWB 1-28a
- Demonstrate how to record, monitor and set achievable goals to improve my physical activity. HWB 1-11a
Suggested Learning Experiences
COVID Support - Education Scotland have highlighted physical education as a critical learning opportunity for pupils as they heal, re-connect, and adapt on their return to school. To support schools with these considerations and others, they have released specific guidelines designed to assist with the planning, decision-making and the safe implementation of curricular physical education.
- Engage in a range of activities that use lots of and less energy eg, fast/slow running, skipping, walking.
- Engage in range of partner relay activities both indoors and outdoors.
- Take turns at being coach and athlete – record and monitor progress in a variety of activities eg, skipping for 30 seconds, shuttle runs, step-ups, bouncing a ball.
- Consider the frequency, intensity and duration of different levels and types of activity.
- Consider how their body feels following different levels of activity eg, heart beats faster, breathe more heavily, body sweats etc following more rigorous activity.
- Compare how they feel when taking part in the same activity at different times of the day. Record results on a feelings/achievement chart/profile.
- Consider factors that might affect their performance with particular emphasis on food ie meal times, portion sizes, energy, type of food etc.
- Develop and adapt a variety of games with a partner that uses minimal equipment.
- Discuss with a partner ways in which activities can be made more/less challenging.
- Learners should be encouraged to set own goals and evaluate success, setting new targets for their own future development.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- SCN 1-04a - Investigate different types of energy and the factors that affect people’s energy needs – age, health, hobbies, job.
Suggested Word Bank