Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I am learning to assess and manage risk, to protect myself and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible. HWB 0-16a
- I am learning to move my body well, exploring how to manage and control it and finding out how to use and share space. HWB 0-21a
- I know and can demonstrate how to travel safely. HWB 0-18a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To consider safety when moving, learning and playing with others.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Demonstrate simple movement skills safely both indoors and outside. HWB 0-21a / HWB 0-18a
- Begin to demonstrate safe use of floor space when working with others. HWB 0-16a
- Select, set up and use equipment safely for a simple game/activity, with support. HWB 0-16a
Suggested Learning Experiences
The Healthy Schools approach has been designed to run alongside a core PE programme. This enables more effective support for pupils’ understanding of the importance of an active lifestyle and helps to develop skills associated with habitual physical activity.
- Use different parts of their body to explore the space around them and to move using simple actions eg. walking, running, hopping.
- Explore different movements in response to a variety of stimuli eg, whistle, clap, music, voice.
- Practice moving at different speeds, directions and levels both independently and in small groups.
- Select, set up apparatus/equipment for a simple group activity, with support.
- Provide opportunities for children to work independently and take simple risks eg, outdoor learning - make their own assault course.
- Encourage children to carry, set up and store equipment safely – this could be built into routines within the gym hall to promote independence and problem-solving skills.
- Discuss why we need to be safe when moving about.
- Discuss why we need to be safe when playing outside.
- Write rules for carrying and setting out equipment safely.
- Create a simple game/activity to play with a friend using selected apparatus.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- MNU 0-01a - Develop understanding of personal space through a variety of activities.
- EXA 0-14a / EXA 0-18a – explore movement through the medium of music/drama.
Suggested Word Bank
- speed (fast/slow)
- level (high/low/)
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Early Level)
- Safe E/O Bundle (Rights Respecting Schools )
- Pupil Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks esp
- Annual Progression Planner ( Early Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Early Level)
- Better Movers and Thinkers (BMT) is an approach to learning and teaching in physical education designed to develop the ability of all children and young people to move and think in a more cohesive way.