Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I am learning to assess and manage risk, to protect myself and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible. HWB 0-16a
- I am learning to move my body well, exploring how to manage and control it and finding out how to use and share space. HWB 0-21a
- I know and can demonstrate how to travel safely. HWB 0-18a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To consider safety when moving, learning and playing with others.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Demonstrate simple movement skills safely both indoors and outside. HWB 0-21a / HWB 0-18a
- Begin to demonstrate safe use of floor space when working with others. HWB 0-16a
- Select, set up and use equipment safely for a simple game/activity, with support. HWB 0-16a
Suggested Learning Experiences
COVID Support - Education Scotland have highlighted physical education as a critical learning opportunity for pupils as they heal, re-connect, and adapt on their return to school. To support schools with these considerations and others, they have released specific guidelines designed to assist with the planning, decision-making and the safe implementation of curricular physical education.
- Use different parts of their body to explore the space around them and to move using simple actions eg. walking, running, hopping.
- Explore different movements in response to a variety of stimuli eg, whistle, clap, music, voice.
- Practice moving at different speeds, directions and levels both independently and in small groups.
- Select, set up apparatus/equipment for a simple group activity, with support.
- Provide opportunities for children to work independently and take simple risks eg, outdoor learning - make their own assault course.
- Encourage children to carry, set up and store equipment safely – this could be built into routines within the gym hall to promote independence and problem-solving skills.
- Discuss why we need to be safe when moving about.
- Discuss why we need to be safe when playing outside.
- Write rules for carrying and setting out equipment safely.
- Create a simple game/activity to play with a friend using selected apparatus.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- MNU 0-01a - Develop understanding of personal space through a variety of activities.
- EXA 0-14a / EXA 0-18a – explore movement through the medium of music/drama.
Suggested Word Bank
- speed (fast/slow)
- level (high/low/)