Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I am learning to assess and manage risk, to protect myself and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible. HWB 0-16a
- I am aware of my own and others’ needs and feelings especially when taking turns and sharing resources. I recognise the need to follow rules. HWB 0-23a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To begin to recognise the need to be responsible within a range of indoor and outdoor activities.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Begin to demonstrate how to follow rules when playing a variety of games. HWB 0-23a
- Begin to demonstrate how to take simple risks, with support. HWB 0-16a
Suggested Learning Experiences
The Healthy Schools approach has been designed to run alongside a core PE programme. This enables more effective support for pupils’ understanding of the importance of an active lifestyle and helps to develop skills associated with habitual physical activity.
- Facilitate a range of outdoor learning opportunities eg, assault course/trim trails/forest walks etc to allow children to experience ‘real risks’ within the natural environment.
- Provide opportunities for children to work independently and take simple risks eg, outdoor learning - make their own assault course.
- Discuss what they need to do to be safe in situations like the ones listed above.
- Consider familiar games that the children know, and list the rules that exist within these games.
- Encourage children to repeat the rules of a game before playing to ensure that everyone understands what is expected.
- Create rules that allow everyone to be involved in a game/activity eg, instead of being put ‘out’ in a game of tig, children have to perform a given action.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- LIT 0-026a – functional writing – make a set of safety rules/instructions for a specific activity.
Suggested Word Bank
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Early Level)
- Experiences & Outcomes Tracking
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks erp
- Annual Progression Planner ( Early Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Early Level)
- Lifestyle Ready Reckoner - Assessment Tool
- Responsible E/O Bundle (Rights Respecting Schools)
- Better Movers and Thinkers (BMT) is an approach to learning and teaching in physical education designed to develop the ability of all children and young people to move and think in a more cohesive way.