Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I am learning to assess and manage risk, to protect myself and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible. HWB 0-16a
- I am aware of my own and others’ needs and feelings especially when taking turns and sharing resources. I recognise the need to follow rules. HWB 0-23a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To begin to recognise the need to be responsible within a range of indoor and outdoor activities.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Begin to demonstrate how to follow rules when playing a variety of games. HWB 0-23a
- Begin to demonstrate how to take simple risks, with support. HWB 0-16a
Suggested Learning Experiences
COVID Support - Education Scotland have highlighted physical education as a critical learning opportunity for pupils as they heal, re-connect, and adapt on their return to school. To support schools with these considerations and others, they have released specific guidelines designed to assist with the planning, decision-making and the safe implementation of curricular physical education.
- Facilitate a range of outdoor learning opportunities eg, assault course/trim trails/forest walks etc to allow children to experience ‘real risks’ within the natural environment.
- Provide opportunities for children to work independently and take simple risks eg, outdoor learning - make their own assault course.
- Discuss what they need to do to be safe in situations like the ones listed above.
- Consider familiar games that the children know, and list the rules that exist within these games.
- Encourage children to repeat the rules of a game before playing to ensure that everyone understands what is expected.
- Create rules that allow everyone to be involved in a game/activity eg, instead of being put ‘out’ in a game of tig, children have to perform a given action.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- LIT 0-026a – functional writing – make a set of safety rules/instructions for a specific activity.
Suggested Word Bank