Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I value the opportunities I am given to make friends and be part of a group in a range of situations. HWB 0-14a
- I am enjoying daily opportunities to participate in different kinds of energetic play, both outdoors and indoors. HWB 0-25a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To recognise that taking part in physical activity can be fun and provide opportunities to make friends.
- To know how to be physically active both inside and outside the classroom.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Discuss how working and playing together can be fun and form good friendships. HWB 0-14a
- Choose activities I can take part in with my friends both indoors and outside. HWB 0-25a
Suggested Learning Experiences
The Healthy Schools approach has been designed to run alongside a core PE programme. This enables more effective support for pupils’ understanding of the importance of an active lifestyle and helps to develop skills associated with habitual physical activity.
- Engage in play with a variety of peers, including those who are friends or not friends.
- Provide opportunities for children to work on their own/with a partner/in a small group and as a class. Practice being both the leader and follower in a variety of physical activities to allow children to take turns and perform different roles.
- Practice sharing an object (e.g., ball) and space with another person.
- Provide a range of activities eg, activity stations that children can choose from to develop specific skills with their peers.
- Playground games – provide a range of equipment that children can select to invent own games to play on own and with others.
- Provide opportunities for children to offer positive feedback to their peers
- Discuss times when they have worked and played well with others.
- Create a display of photos of children working co-operatively in the gym hall/during physical activity.
- Create a poster to promote physical activity as fun.
- Look at images of children playing together and consider how it makes them feel eg, happy, safe, included.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- LIT 0-21b – children brainstorm words and phrases that describe ways of caring and showing empathy.
- LIT 0-26a - Create a set of rules for working together cooperatively in the gym hall.
Suggested Word Bank
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Early Level)
- Nurtured E/O Bundle (Rights Respecting Schools)
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks enp
- Annual Progression Planner ( Early Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Early Level)
- Better Movers and Thinkers (BMT) is an approach to learning and teaching in physical education designed to develop the ability of all children and young people to move and think in a more cohesive way.
- Greenspace. NHS Lanarkshire resource that is designed to help show all the different options to get outdoors and reap the benefits of nature.