Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I recognise that each individual has a unique blend of abilities and needs. I contribute to making my school community one which values individuals equally and is a welcoming place for all. HWB 0-10a
- I am aware of my own and others’ needs and feelings especially when taking turns and sharing resources. I recognise the need to follow rules. HWB 0-23a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To understand that everyone has an important role to play when working together.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Explore different roles when working with a partner and small group. HWB 0-10a
- Demonstrate how to be fair and tolerant and allow others to have their turn within a variety of activities. HWB 0-23a
- Begin to show how to be supportive of my friends when working and learning together. HWB 0-23a
Suggested Learning Experiences
The Healthy Schools approach has been designed to run alongside a core PE programme. This enables more effective support for pupils’ understanding of the importance of an active lifestyle and helps to develop skills associated with habitual physical activity.
- Children should experience a variety of opportunities to work co-operatively in terms of the tasks set and in the use of space, sharing of apparatus, exchanging of equipment with others, etc.
- Provide children with the opportunity to work with different groups and to take turns at being the group leader.
- Give children opportunities to take on different roles within a range of physical activities.
- Provide opportunities for children to be involved in small-sided or mini team games.
- Discuss the responsibilities that each different role entails.
- Discuss which roles they liked best and why. Use this discussion to reinforce to children the importance of everyone feeling included and having a role to play in small team and group activities. Consider how they would feel if they didn’t have a role to play.
- Mindmap what working cooperatively looks, sounds and feels like.
- Create a wall display of photographs/pictures of children working co-operatively with annotated explanations of what is happening in the photos.
Suggested Word Bank
- team work
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Early Level)
- Experiences & Outcomes Tracking
- Pupil Learning Logs and Benchmarks eip
- Annual Progression Planner ( Early Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Early Level)
- Lifestyle Ready Reckoner - Assessment Tool
- Included E/O Bundle ( Rights Respecting Schools)
- Better Movers and Thinkers (BMT) is an approach to learning and teaching in physical education designed to develop the ability of all children and young people to move and think in a more cohesive way.