Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I know that being active is a healthy way to be. HWB 0-27a
- I can describe how I feel after taking part in energetic activities and I am becoming aware of some of the changes that take place in my body. HWB 0-28a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To begin to recognise that there is a positive link between activity and health.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Describe one or two ways in which physical activity is good for me. HWB 0-27a
- Discuss some changes that take place in my body when I exercise. HWB 0-28a
- Name some parts of my body that are affected by exercise. HWB 0-28a
Suggested Learning Experiences
COVID Support - Education Scotland have highlighted physical education as a critical learning opportunity for pupils as they heal, re-connect, and adapt on their return to school. To support schools with these considerations and others, they have released specific guidelines designed to assist with the planning, decision-making and the safe implementation of curricular physical education.
- Experiment with a range of physical activities which will increase their heart rate eg, playing tig, jogging, skipping, running, walking briskly, obstacle courses, relays.
- Photograph/video children taking part in different energetic activities – this can be used to provide an opportunity for children to reflect on what they have learned and to talk about how the activities made them feel.
- Set up a range of activity stations that focus on using different parts of the body. Encourage children to think about the parts of their body they think they will be exercising the most. After each activity, get the children to place stickers on an outline of a body to show which parts they think they have used most.
- Describe/illustrate how they look and feel before, during and after physical activity eg, excited, nervous, happy, tired, hot, red, sweaty etc.
- Listen to their heart beating and their breathing before, during and after exercise and describe/record the changes that take place.
- Talk about their favourite activity/sport – what is it that they like about it? How does it make them feel?
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- EXA 0-04a – Make pictures of how they look before/during/after exercise.
- LIT 0-10a – Create a word wall of vocabulary to describe how they feel before, during and after exercise.
- TCH 0-04b – Take photographs/record sounds of children playing together indoors/outdoors.
- EXA 0-04a - Create a 2D model of the human body, labelling the main organs associated with physical activity eg, heart, lungs.
Suggested Word Bank