Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I know that alcohol and drugs can affect people's ability to make decisions. HWB 2-40a
- I understand the impact that misuse of substances can have on individuals, their families and friends. HWB 2-43a
- I recognise that how my body changes can affect how I feel about myself and how I may behave. HWB 2-47a
- I am able to describe how human life begins and how a baby is born. HWB 2-50a
- This is a sensitive aspect of learning and parents/guardians will need to be informed of this before teaching it.
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To begin to develop an understanding of the effects drugs and alcohol have on the human body.
- To understand the incredible sequence of events that need to happen in order to create a human life.
- Prepare for the emotional changes that take place during puberty.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Demonstrate how drugs can affect my ability to make clear choices.HWB2-40a
- Describe the events that need to happen to create human life. HWB 2-50a
- Identify positive things about my own body image and appearance. HWB 2-47a
- Explain the impact of risk taking behaviours on life choices and relationships. HWB2-43a
Suggested Learning Experiences
- List different ways that children already know about the effects that drugs and especially alcohol can have on someone’s capacity to make good judgements. Working in groups, practise completing simple tasks wearing the beer goggles (available from Law House Library) e.g. playing a simple computer game, pouring a glass of water, walking in a straight line, catching a ball.
- Watch some of the videos from Choices for Life website. Discuss the impact that these issues have had on the families of the young people involved. Role play different aspects from these videos, encouraging the children to take on different roles so they can begin to understand the issues from different perspectives.
- Pledge your support and help create a tobacco-free Scotland
- Investigate the cost of dental treatment after the age of 18 when it stops being free on the NHS.
- Research the impact that poor dental health has on mental and physical wellbeing eg confidence, social skills, bad breath, physical discomfort, attractiveness.
- Debate the issues surrounding the trend towards veneers. Is having straight white teeth a sign of social status?
- Contrast and compare the life cycles of different animals they already know.
- Watch a short film clip from BBC Bite size called Human fertilization featuring Dr Michael Moseley. Encourage the children to take notes as they watch. Discuss some of the facts they have learned.
- Ask it Basket have one available to allow children to ask questions out with the class group.
- Encourage children to recap on what they have already learned using a body board (available from Law House Library) to work out where this action takes place within the human female body. Layout the gym equipment to represent the journey that human sperm must undertake to reach the egg e.g. the parachute becomes the egg, mats and box tops create the journey through the cervix. Children reconstruct that journey by being the sperm wearing an X or Y to represent the gene component of boys or girls.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- TCH 2-04b - Create a powerpoint to explain to peers the benefits of a healthy body and mind.
Suggested Word Bank
- umbilical cord
- fallopian tubes
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Second Level)
- Healthy E/O Bundle (Rights Respecting Schools)
- Pupil Learning Log 1 and Benchmarks shh
- Pupil Learning Log 2 and Benchmarks shh
- Annual Progression Planners ( Second Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Second Level)
- Personalised Year Planner (Second Level)
NHS Lanarkshire Library Resources
- Beer goggles.
Drug box This box contains 24 placebo drugs, all carefully researched and hand crafted to ensure an exact replica of the real drugs.
- healthyandsmokefree.scot is an NHS Lanarkshire website dedicated to tobacco education. Follow this link for Second Level activities.
- BBC Bite Size clip about Human Fertilization.
- BBC Bite size clip about Hormones and puberty
- A quick and easy guide to help young people experiencing stress.
- NHSL resource with lesson plans and activities.