Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I know that there are medicines and some other substances that can be used in a safe way to improve health and I am becoming aware of how choices I make can affect my health and wellbeing. HWB 1-38a
- I am aware of my growing body and I am learning the correct names for its different parts and how they work. HWB 1-47b
- I am learning what I can do to look after my body and who can help me. HWB 1-48a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To understand how to look after their body now and in the future.
- To raise awareness of how tobacco can affect their body.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Describe the effects of smoking on the body. HWB 1-38a
- Identify some conditions where someone will need to take medicine and know how this will help them eg Asthma. HWB 1-38a
- Know and can complete independently some of the basic tasks required to look after my body eg brushing teeth. HWB 1-48a
- Use the correct words for different parts of the body eg penis and vagina. HWB 1-47b This is a sensitive aspect of learning and parents/guardians will need to be informed of this before teaching it.
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Make a class display of children taking part in healthy activities – lead this into discussion on ways they keep can keep fit and healthy.
- Discuss what ‘being healthy’ means – what it looks like, feels and sounds like. Children could try to illustrate their ideas. Select images from magazines of what they think ‘being healthy’ looks like and create a wall display – children could write captions explaining their choice of picture.
- Consider what aspects of smoking can cause changes to the body.
- Think about the internal changes and discuss.
- Create a poster showing which changes take place and how to avoid this happening
- Draw round a child. Create a wall display of how to look after different parts of the body eg, skin, brain, bones, teeth, heart, lungs – link to healthy eating – foods to eat/avoid, activities to avoid and the ones to encourage.
- Collaborative learning - Mindmap/list different ways they can keep healthy – personal hygiene, teeth brushing routine, eating a good balance of different foods. Consider the effects of poor diet, lack of exercise, decaying teeth. Select one aspect and create a poster to persuade others about the benefits of looking after themselves and their bodies.
- Develop different ways to help children complete healthy routines independently eg make up their own chart to help remember to brush their teeth in the morning and at night.
- Interview an adult/older person and ask them how they keep healthy.
- Co-operative learning - put children into same sex groups, ask them to consider what activities only girls or only boys can do. Have a class discussion about their results. Try to persuade other groups to think differently.
- Consider that the only aspects of difference between a boy and a girl are the genitals. Name them using correct medical terms and give the children the context for using this language both in and out of school.
- Pledge your support and help create a tobacco-free Scotland
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- SOC 1-20a - Investigate the importance of local services and organisations in supporting people to lead more healthy lifestyles.
- MNU 1-20a / MNU 1-20b – Investigate the amount of exercise each person in the class does over a day/week. Explore the findings, create questions and present the information in a logical, organised and imaginative way eg, graph, bar/pie chart etc.
Suggested Word Bank
- balanced diet
- unhealthy future
- personal hygiene
- poor diet
- medical terms
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (First Level)
- Healthy E/O Bundle (Rights Respecting Schools)
- Pupil Learning Log 1 and Benchmarks fhh
- Pupil Learning Log 2 and Benchmarks fhh
- Annual Progression Planner ( First Level)
- Topic Specific Planners (First Level)
NHS Lanarkshire Library Resources
- healthyandsmokefree.scot is an NHS Lanarkshire website dedicated to tobacco education. Follow this link for First Level activities.
- TES powerpoint presentation listing factors which contribute to a healthy lifestyle. Useful points for discussion
- Quiz covering various aspects of caring for yourself
- Lessons, activities, songs about hand washing and personal hygiene
- NHS Lanarkshire Sexual Health