Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I am developing my understanding of the human body and can use this knowledge to improve and maintain my wellbeing and health. HWB 0-15a
- I know that being active is a healthy way to be. HWB 0-27a
- I know and can demonstrate how to travel safely. HWB 0-18
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To begin to understand what it means to be active.
- To know that being active every day is good for your health.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Describe, in simple terms, what active means. HWB 0-27a
- Give examples of different ways I can be active in and out of school. HWB 0-27a
- Discuss how being active can be good for my body. HWB 0-15a
- Demonstrate a safe way to travel on a piece of equipment in a park. HWB 0-18a
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Mindmap all the things they could do that would make them active.
- Discuss videos and photos of children’s’ everyday activities eg, from magazine clippings. Children could discuss what is happening in the pictures and relate this to how exercise and activity is good for the body.
- Discuss feelings associated with taking part in physical activity with family and friends eg, happy, excited.
- Talk about all the things they do in nursery/school/home which makes them active.
- Draw round a child and get children to brainstorm all the words and phrases they can think of to show how being active is good for each part of the body.
- Draw examples of different ways to keep fit and healthy.
- Discuss activities they do at home and nursery/school with family and friends –separate them into ones which use up more of less energy – relate this to being more or less active.
- Consider different places where children can be active eg in gym hall, playground, classroom, park, house, garden, leisure centre – children could make a collage/wall display of all the different types of activities they could do for each place.
- Virtual classroom activities created by HWB team at Alexander Peden
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- MNU 0-20a – create a chart/graph of favourite activities at home in school. Compare results.
Suggested Word Bank
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Early Level)
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks eath
- Annual Progression Planner ( Early Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Early Level)
- Active E/O Bundle with UNCRC links
- Personalised Year Planner (Early Level)