Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- Opportunities to carry out different activities and roles in a variety of settings have enabled me to identify my achievements, skills and areas for development. This will help me to prepare for the next stage in my life and learning. HWB 2-19a
- I am investigating different careers/occupations, ways of working, and learning and training paths. I am gaining experience that helps me recognise the relevance of my learning, skills and interests to my future life. HWB 2-20a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To consolidate and apply a range of practical food preparation and cooking skills.
- To understand how preparing and cooking foods with others can be enjoyable and develop lifelong skills.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Evaluate my own and others skills and areas for development. HWB 2-19a
- Identify connections between skills and the world of work. HWB 2-20a
Suggested Learning Experiences
- The following suggested learning experiences should be embedded throughout second level and beyond.
- Engage in a range of practical food preparation and cooking activities to develop fine motor skills when using utensils.
- Practical skills development – measuring, pouring, mixing, kneading, shaping, baking, spreading, cutting, sieving, juicing, mashing, grating, brushing, arranging, slicing, tearing, bridge and claw cutting techniques.
- Collaborative Learning – within small groups create a healthy meal/snack within a given brief and a limited budget. Children should brainstorm all the things they need to consider prior to embarking on the task. For example:
- Health and safety – germs, storage of food and equipment, available space, personal hygiene, space
- Equipment – availability / skills needed to use them / safety
- Ingredients – locally sourced / allergies / availability / sustainability
- Timescale – consider preparation and cooking times and plan in advance for these.
- Budget – cost of ingredients against allocated budget
- Skills / preferences of others in their team – need to compromise and allocate roles to ensure everyone has a job to do that they are able to complete with a degree of success and confidence.
- Children could take photos or video footage of each stage of the task and use this evidence to prepare a presentation to peers at the end of the task.
- On completion of the task, assess how successful it was in terms of how well the group worked as a team, sharing responsibility etc as well as evaluation the success of the dish they prepared together.
- Talk to children about the ‘Skills for Learning, Life and Work’ and display list on board / interactive white board etc. Children could list and evaluate all the skills they think they applied when they were working together as a team. Discuss how these particular skills may benefit them now and in the future.
- Invite people who are involved with food eg farmers, bakers,delivery drivers to talk to children about the career opportunities available within the food industry and the skills, qualities and attributes that would be beneficial.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- SOC 2-22a - set up and run a school tuck shop to allow children to experience running a small, simple business.
- TCH 2-11a – take part in food enterprise activities/opportunities provided by local/national businesses eg, Food for Thought Fund (Education Scotland).
Suggested Word Bank
- practical skills
- problem solving
- lifelong career
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Second Level)
- Experiences & Outcomes Tracking
- Achieving E/O Bundle (Rights Respecting Schools)
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks saf
- Annual Progression Planners ( Second Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Second Level)
- Lifestyle Ready Reckoner - Assessment Tool
- Focus on food is a charitable food education program that believes that cooking is an essential ingredient for healthy, happy lifestyle.
- Free farm to fork trails showing children the journeys food takes to get to their plates.
- National careers service website giving details about all the different jobs available in catering.
- A national charity where professional chefs deliver sessions in the classroom over a range of skills and activities