Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I am developing my understanding of the human body and can use this knowledge to maintain and improve my wellbeing and health. HWB 1-15a
- I am becoming aware of how cleanliness, hygiene and safety can affect health and wellbeing and I apply this knowledge in everyday routines. HWB 1-33a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To understand the effects of good hygiene and safety on health and wellbeing.
- To know how germs are spread and controlled.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Demonstrate safe and hygienic practice when preparing, handling and storing food. HWB 1-33a
- Explain different ways in which germs can be spread and controlled. HWB 1-15a
- Discuss the best places to store different types of food.HWB 1-15a / HWB 1-33a
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Identify dangers /potential dangers from a kitchen scene and discuss what should be done to rectify them.
- Create a set of safety and hygiene rules to follow when preparing food eg. put on apron, tie long hair back, wash hands etc.
- Create a set of safety rules to promote personal hygiene in general eg. do not cough or sneeze over food, wash hands after using the toilet.
- Invite the school nurse to talk about the benefits of good hygiene.
- Invite a chef/school cook to talk about safety and hygiene rules they must follow in their kitchen
- Create a peer-led lesson on effective hand washing/food preparation and/or visit other classes to show them what they have been learning about handwashing and perform a demonstration.
- Engage in national campaigns/poster competitions eg, Food Standards Agency, to promote hygienic practice when handling, storing and preparing food.
- Make a food preparation wall display or book using photos of children preparing food safely and hygienically.
- Write captions explaining what is happening in the photos and how much they enjoyed/valued the experience.
- Illustrate/Explain what might happen if they don’t prepare food safely e.g feel unwell, stomach pains, feel sick, diarrhoea.
- Make a ‘Day in the Life of My Hands’ poster to illustrate how much they use their hands every day – write one thing they use their hands for on each of the fingers – this should generate/reinforce discussion around the importance of washing hands to prevent the spread of germs.
- Experiment - use UV germ detector to show germ areas on hands before and after washing. Experiment with/without soap; hot and cold water to find out the best conditions for effective hand washing. Encourage children to make and assess own predictions.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- TCH 1-04b / SCN 1-13a – create a powerpoint explaining ways to avoid the spread of germs when preparing food and some common diseases caused by germs– include photos/video clips to communicate experiences, ideas and information in an engaging way.
Suggested Word Bank
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (First Level)
- Experiences & Outcomes Tracking
- Safe E/O Bundle (Rights Respecting Schools )
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks fsf
- Annual Progression Planner ( First Level)
- Topic Specific Planners (First Level)
- Lifestyle Ready Reckoner - Assessment Tool