Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- When preparing and cooking a variety of foods, I am becoming aware of the journeys which foods make from source to consumer, their seasonality, their local availability and their sustainability. HWB 1-35a
- I am discovering the different ways that advertising and the media can affect my choices. HWB 1-37a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To understand local and global issues affecting food choice.
- To interpret information to make informed choices while being aware of the pressure and bias of advertising.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Explain the basic journey of food from source to consumer HWB 1-35a
- Identify different ways the media can influence my choices. HWB 1-37a
- Discuss how to prevent food waste eg composting peelings. HWB 1-35a
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Food and the Consumer
- Investigate where food comes on a local and/or global scale from eg. the journey a product like bananas makes before it reaches the supermarket. Take account of how it is transported/carbon footprint etc.
- Find examples of food products that are imported and sold in Britain.
- Consider seasonal and climate differences, storage, possible damage and food hygiene.
- Make a dish using local/seasonal ingredients and map the sources of the items you are using. Add up the miles it took to get from farm to fork.
- Dicuss what can be done with food waste. Show the children all of the different ways the food can be recycled eg animal feed, digester plant,compost.
- This is the link to Zero Waste Scotland Education pack.
- Examine Fairtrade products and discuss why people should buy them - Select and prepare snacks using Fairtrade products / explore differences in taste of Fairtrade and non-Fairtrade products / organise a Fairtrade coffee morning.
- Advertising and the Media
- Look at a range of food packaging for same product eg, yogurt – compare the packaging and discuss which is more appealing giving reasons for choice.
- Play a game of “Taste the Difference” with the class. They can blind taste branded and non-branded or budget versions of different foods and see if they can identify which is which. They can evaluate their choices based on just the taste of the food.
- Brainstorm why we buy certain foods eg, marketing (look, adverts, familiarity); ease (frozen foods require less preparation); taste (sugar and fat appeals to our taste buds).
- Compare packaging from a variety of products advertised as being good for children and discuss whether they really are eg, cereal, yoghurts, fruit juice.
- Investigate how advertising companies try to encourage the sale of their products eg, jingles, packaging, famous people etc and discuss media influences.
- Investigate snack foods that are advertised on televisions during children’s viewing times. Discuss why you like / dislike these advertisements.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- EXA 1-13a - Role-play a visit to the supermarket, highlighting the kinds of foods they are buying, why they choose those foods, and what they might make with the foods.
- SOC 1-09a - Fish farming topic - discuss decline in fish stocks through over-fishing. Research types of sustainable fish and methods of fishing. Visit a fish shop/supermarket. Investigate different types of fish available throughout the year.
- Recycling topic – reduce, recycle, reuse.
Suggested Word Bank
- carbon footprint
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (First Level)
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks frf
- Annual Progression Planner ( First Level)
- Topic Specific Planners (First Level)
- Responsible E/O Bundle ( Rights Respecting Schools)
- Personalised Year Planner (First Level)
- LEAF (Linking Environment And Farming) is the leading organisation promoting sustainable agriculture, food and farming
- A virtual online farm walk for children to find out about farming and the environment
- Royal Highland Education Trust - Taking the Classroom to the Countryside! All RHET services are free to schools in Scotland
- Love Food Hate Waste website with lots of suggestions about making food waste a thing of the past .