Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I value the opportunities I am given to make friends and be part of a group in a range of situations. HWB 1-14a
- I enjoy eating a diversity of foods in a range of social situations. HWB 1-29a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To know that eating together is an important time to interact with others.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Explain why it is important to interact with family and friends in different social situations. HWB 1-14a
- Demonstrate good manners and social skills . HWB 1-29a
- Show that I am willing to explore and enjoy new food experiences. HWB 1-29a
- Choose appropriate foods to prepare for different events. HWB 1-29a
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Brainstorm all the different occasions where people may eat together.
- Describe to the class what good table manners are – make a set of rules to display in the canteen of how to show good table manners.
- Explain what might happen in a restaurant eg, sit at table, look at menu, decide what to have, order food etc.
- Describe different places where people can eat food such as at home, in a café, restaurant etc.
- Take photographs (or bring in from home) to show occasions when people interact over food.
- Actively encourage children to sit with different people at lunch time – set rules / guidance to encourage good social skills and table manners.
- Create a display to celebrate trying new foods – children’s names and thoughts could be displayed in the dinner hall encouraging other children to try something new.
- Make posters to highlight how eating with friends is fun.
- Collaborative learning – plan a special meal for a group of friends, making sure that everyone’s needs are catered for eg, find out what they like/don’t like; allergies; cultural needs etc.
- Prepare a healthy snack for breaktime that can be shared with a friend.
- Plan a picnic, indoors or outdoors, for the class to share together. Encourage the children to think about food they can eat with their fingers.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- EXA 1-14a – create a role-play area eg, themed restaurant to develop confidence and social skills eg hosting a dinner party.
Suggested Word Bank
- taking turns
- social skills
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (First Level)
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks fif
- Annual Progression Planner ( First Level)
- Topic Specific Planners (First Level)
- Included E/O Bundle with UNCRC links
- Personalised Year Planner (First Level)