Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I am developing my understanding of the human body and can use this knowledge to maintain and improve my wellbeing and health. HWB 0-15a
- I am becoming aware of how cleanliness, hygiene and safety can affect health and wellbeing and I apply this knowledge in everyday routines such as taking care of my teeth. HWB 0-33a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To begin to recognise the importance of cleanliness, hygiene and safety within everyday routines.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Demonstrate hygiene and safety when preparing and handling food, with support. HWB 0-33a
- Describe, in simple terms, what germs are and how I can stop them from spreading. HWB 0-15a
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Sorting and matching activity – children to place real or pretend foods and drinks in the correct storage places eg, cupboard/fridge etc.
- Discuss when and why they would wash their hands at nursery/school/home.
- Make a set of simple hygiene and safety rules for their peers to follow eg, annotated photo display.
- Discuss/illustrate ways to prevent the spread of germs eg, covering mouth/nose when coughing/sneezing.
- Design posters to be displayed near the sinks reminding the pupils of good hand hygiene.
- Experiment with ultra-violet light germ detector comparing the difference between washing and not washing hands
- Provide children with opportunities to practice cutting soft fruit and vegetables and to experience using cutlery safely eg, preparing food for consumption at the snack table.
- Provide children with the opportunity to set up for snack time and help to wash and clear away equipment.
- Mindmap all those who can help them when they are ill – nurses, doctors, chemists, dentists, parents, carers.
- Invite nurse, health visitor, dentist, chemist to talk to children about ways to prevent the spread of infection.
Suggested Word Bank
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Early Level)
- Safe E/O Bundle (Rights Respecting Schools )
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks esf
- Annual Progression Planner ( Early Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Early Level)
- Personalised Year Planner (Early Level)