Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I explore and discover where foods come from as I choose, prepare and taste different foods. HWB 0-35a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To begin to show an understanding of where our food comes from.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Describe which foods come from plants and which ones come from animals. HWB 0-35a
- Identify some foods grown and harvested in Scotland at different times of the year. HWB 0-35a
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Visit a local farm to find out more about the food that is produced locally. Click on this link to access the RHET website.
- Examine foods which are available in Scotland at different times of the year.
- Create a calendar of foods grown and harvested in Scotland at different times of the year.
- Contrast and compare the range of local foods available at the supermarket.
- Sort and match foods to different types of shops that they might be bought from.
- Match a food product to the animal or plant it comes from eg, eggs to chicken.
- Investigate what food products could be found/made on a farm.
- Produce a simple snack using foods grown locally or that are in season, with support.eg Red Pepper and Lentil Soup
- Draw the process of farm to plate for some simple common foods eg, milk, eggs.
- Education Scotland Skills Pathway
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- SOC 0-20a – Explore the workings of a local farm.
- SOC 0-16a / TCH 0-02a - Visit recycling plant/have someone talk to class about how to recycle waste.
- EXA 0-02a - Junk modelling using recycled materials. .
- EXA 0-14a Role-play visit to shop/garden allotment.
- SCN 0-03a – grow own fruit/veg; create a herb garden; allotment.
Suggested Word Bank
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Early Level)
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks erf
- Annual Progression Planner ( Early Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Early Level)
- Responsible E/O Bundle (Rights Respecting Schools)
- Personalised Year Planner (Early Level)