Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I explore and discover where foods come from as I choose, prepare and taste different foods. HWB 0-35a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To begin to show an understanding of where our food comes from.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Describe which foods come from plants and which ones come from animals. HWB 0-35a
- Identify some foods grown and harvested in Scotland at different times of the year. HWB 0-35a
Suggested Learning Experiences
The European Food Safety Authority has stated there is no evidence that food is a source of coronavirus (COVID-19) and it is very unlikely that it can be transmitted through the consumption of food. However, practical food activities including food sharing, tasting, preparation and cooking are probably going to be quite difficult to manage in a classroom setting during this initial period as children return to school. Fortunately there are still plenty of other relevant activities providing challenge and enjoyment for the children, including finding out about things they may have tried to cook at home.
- Visit a local farm to find out more about the food that is produced locally. Click on this link to access the RHET website.
- Examine foods which are available in Scotland at different times of the year.
- Create a calendar of foods grown and harvested in Scotland at different times of the year.
- Contrast and compare the range of local foods available at the supermarket.
- Sort and match foods to different types of shops that they might be bought from.
- Match a food product to the animal or plant it comes from eg, eggs to chicken.
- Investigate what food products could be found/made on a farm.
- Produce a simple snack using foods grown locally or that are in season, with support.eg Red Pepper and Lentil Soup
- Draw the process of farm to plate for some simple common foods eg, milk, eggs.
- Education Scotland Skills Pathway
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- SOC 0-20a – Explore the workings of a local farm.
- SOC 0-16a / TCH 0-02a - Visit recycling plant/have someone talk to class about how to recycle waste.
- EXA 0-02a - Junk modelling using recycled materials. .
- EXA 0-14a Role-play visit to shop/garden allotment.
- SCN 0-03a – grow own fruit/veg; create a herb garden; allotment.
Suggested Word Bank
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Early Level)
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks erf
- Annual Progression Planner ( Early Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Early Level)
- Responsible E/O Bundle with UNCRC links
- Personalised Year Planner (Early Level)