Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I enjoy eating a diversity of foods in a range of social situations. HWB 0-29a
- I explore and discover where foods come from as I choose, prepare and taste different foods. HWB 0-35a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To know and respect that people have different rules about the food and drink they prepare and eat.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Discuss my own likes and dislikes about food and drink. HWB 0-29a
- Identify some foods associated with different celebrations, customs and cultures around the world. HWB 0-35a
- Select and prepare food for a special occasion, with support. HWB 0-29a
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Compare different foods which would be eaten for special occasions in the lives of the children eg birthdays and Christmas. Create a menu for one of these special occasions.
- Encourage the children to help to plan a tasting session for one of these events.
- Circle time activities – discussing own likes and dislikes about food and drink. Encourage the children to try to explain what it is that they don't like eg it might be the bubbles in carbonated drinks.
- Choose a country and talk about the foods and celebrations associated with that country.
- Try to invite someone from that country/culture to talk about the traditional food they eat. Let the children plan another food tasting session with their guest.
- Plan a visit to a supermarket – take photographs of different types of food from various countries. Compare this with food and drink created in Scotland.
- Organise a themed restaurant for one day– invite parents to attend.
- Education Scotland Skills Pathway
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- MNU 0-20a - make graphs/tally favourite food and drink.
- EXA 0-14a – create a themed restaurant within the role- play area eg. Chinese Restaurant.
- RME 0-06a – explore celebrations, customs and festivals across the globe eg, Chinese New Year; Eid; Diwali and how food plays an important part within different practices and traditions.
Suggested Word Bank
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Early Level)
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks erdf
- Annual Progression Planner ( Early Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Early Level)
- Respected E/O Bundle with UNCRC links
- Personalised Year Planner (Early Level)
- Unusual recipes from different countries.
- Celebrating Scottish culture.
- Food based learning with recipes from around the world.
- NHS handwashing video and instructions.
- Education Scotland Link to Good Food Skills
- Find key information, resources, exemplification and links to resources on the National Improvement Hub linked to using food as a context for learning.