Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I enjoy eating a diversity of foods in a range of social situations. HWB 0-29a
- I explore and discover where foods come from as I choose, prepare and taste different foods. HWB 0-35a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To know and respect that people have different rules about the food and drink they have.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Discuss my own likes and dislikes about food and drink. HWB 0-29a
- Identify some foods associated with different celebrations, customs and cultures around the world. HWB 0-35a
- Select and prepare food for a special occasion, with support. HWB 0-29a
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Investigate which foods would be part of different celebrations/festivals eg, Burns’ Day.
- Compare different foods which would be eaten for special occasions eg birthdays and Christmas and create a menu for one of these special occasions.
- Circle time activities – discussing own likes and dislikes about food and drink.
- Plan a visit to a Chinese/Indian restaurant/food market – take photographs of different types of food and use this to make comparisons with food and drink associated with Scotland.
- Match/sort food and drink associated with different celebrations/customs and festivals. Plan a tasting session for some of them.
- Choose a country and talk about the foods and celebrations associated with that country.
- Try to invite someone from that country/culture to talk about the food. Let the children plan another food tasting session with their guest.
- Organise a themed restaurant for one day– invite parents to attend.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- MNU 0-20a - make graphs/tally favourite food and drink.
- EXA 0-14a – create a themed restaurant within the role- play area eg. Chinese Restaurant.
- RME 0-06a – explore celebrations, customs and festivals across the globe eg, Chinese New Year; Eid; Diwali and how food plays an important part within different practices and traditions.
Suggested Word Bank
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Early Level)
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks erdf
- Annual Progression Planner ( Early Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Early Level)
- Respected E/O Bundle ( Rights Respecting Schools)
- Personalised Year Planner (Early Level)