Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- I value the opportunities I am given to make friends and be part of a group in a range of situations. HWB 0-14a
- I enjoy eating a diversity of foods in a range of social situations. HWB 0-29a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To experience the fun and enjoyment of eating with friends and in small groups.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Describe how eating with friends and peers makes me feel. HWB 0-14a
- Show simple social skills when eating with others. HWB 0-29a
- Match appropriate foods to different social situations. HWB 0-29a
Suggested Learning Experiences
The European Food Safety Authority has stated there is no evidence that food is a source of coronavirus (COVID-19) and it is very unlikely that it can be transmitted through the consumption of food. However, practical food activities including food sharing, tasting, preparation and cooking are probably going to be quite difficult to manage in a classroom setting during this initial period as children return to school. Fortunately there are still plenty of other relevant activities providing challenge and enjoyment for the children, including finding out about things they may have tried to cook at home.
- Mind map all the different social situations where eating takes place – parties, dining table, picnic, school dinners, snack table, restaurants, family home etc.
- Talk about a time they have shared and enjoyed eating with family/friends.
- Share own experiences of eating with friends and family at home and on special occasions – what did they like about it, how did they feel?
- Provide a range of social situations where the children can eat together eg. picnics, snacks, barbecues, parties, celebrations.
- Introduce roles/responsibilities when playing in the role-play restaurant.
- Arrange a picnic in the woods/outdoor area.
- Have some photographs of children displaying good table manners when eating with others.
- Help to set up a picnic, snack table for others to enjoy.
- Design a display of images of different foods and children to sort/match to the correct occasion eg, turkey – Christmas, birthday cake – party etc.
- Children could create own picture cards/sorting game.
- Education Scotland Skills Pathway
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- LIT 0-19a - Read a range of texts where the central theme is sharing, friendships eg The Bear Who Shared by Catherine Rayner.
- EXA 0-14a – Set up a café restaurant area where children can role-play ‘cooking’, ordering, serving and eating food.
Suggested Word Bank
- taking turns
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Early Level)
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks eif
- Annual Progression Planner ( Early Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Early Level)
- Included E/O Bundle with UNCRC links
- Personalised Year Planner (Early Level)