Suggested HWB Experiences & Outcomes
- Together we enjoy handling, tasting, talking and learning about different foods. HWB 0-30a
Suggested Learning Intentions
- To develop confidence in talking about, preparing and trying new food and drink.
Suggested Success Criteria (I can...)
- Demonstrate simple practical skills when preparing and cooking food, with support. HWB 0-30a
- Describe the different tastes and textures of foods when preparing and handling food. HWB 0-30a
- Select and prepare ingredients to follow a simple recipe, with support. HWB 0-30a
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Provide a range of opportunities for children to take part in practical food preparation and cooking activities and to develop fine motor skills when using cooking utensils.
- Investigate how same foods can be eaten/used in different ways to be enjoyed by different people and in different situations eg, eating fruits as they are or making them into fruit smoothie. Children could work in small groups to create a fruit smoothie using everyone’s favourite fruit. Discuss taste, textures, smells etc of their ‘creation,’ and come up with a name for it.
- Create a snack for a teddy bears picnic e.g. sandwiches, dips, fruit kebabs etc.
- Visit the local supermarket and allow the children to select foods for snack. Encourage them to discuss why they chose a particular food or drink.
- Match foods that might be eaten together.
- Create a fruit salad to allow children to experience washing, cutting and preparing fruit for a simple dish.
- Discuss foods they like and don’t like when handling and tasting different foods.
- Engage in fruit/veg tasting sessions - investigate different textures, tastes, smells etc of different fruit and veg. Record their favourite fruit and use this information to create charts to compare different likes and dislikes of the class.
Suggested Cross-Curricular Links
- SCN 0-12a – Using senses to explore taste, textures, smells etc of different food.
- SCN 0-15a – Investigate the changes that takes place when cooking vegetables, pasta, rice; when freezing to make ice-lollies etc.
- LIT 0-21b - Create a word wall of common sensory vocabulary eg, crunchy, bitter, sweet, salty, chewy etc.
- LIT 0-14a - Develop print awareness through menus, labels, and signs.
- MNU 0-01a / MNU 0-07a / MNU 0-10a / MNU 0-11a / MNU 0-16a – Estimate, share, time, measure, sort ingredients to follow simple recipes.
- LIT 0-21b – Write a set of instructions to make a fruit smoothie
Suggested Word Bank
Parent & Community Engagement
Pathways, Tracking & Monitoring
- Year Planner (Early Level)
- Achieving E/O Bundle (Rights Respecting Schools)
- Pupil Learning Log and Benchmarks eaf
- Annual Progression Planner ( Early Level)
- Topic Specific Planners ( Early Level)
- Personalised Year Planner (Early Level)